A ‘lofi flavor’ beast.
As kids of the 80s, we have always been drawn to the sound of slightly out-of-tune synths, warm tape saturation, gritty samples and grainy reverbs. So we set out on a mission to capture the lofi spirit of our favorite decade — and bring it into a new decade.
Meet a complex algorithm with eight simple knobs. We named it ‘Super’ for its powers and ‘VHS’ for its sound.
Six unique ‘one-knob’ effects inspired by the VHS-era.
● STATIC — Static noise generated by an internal synthesizer
● HEAT — ‘Analog tape’ saturator inspired by consumer-grade tape machines
● SHAPE — Sample rate reducer inspired by 1980s 8-bit samplers
● MAGIC — Widening FX inspired by the Juno chorus, but darker and deeper
● DRIFT — Pitch fluctuation LFO for unpredictable time and pitch shifting
● WASH — ‘Bad hall’ reverb inspired by budget friendly 1980s rack units
Rewind to the VHS-Era.
We wanted this plugin to be like sending your sounds back in time, then re-discovering them on a worn-out VHS tape 30 years later. All with the click of a single button, right inside your DAW.
The result is six unique effects coming together in a versatile channel strip. Super VHS will add some lofi authenticity to whatever clean sound you run through it — especially as you mix and match the effects. Each effect has just a single control, but multiple parameters under the hood, allowing for a wide range of results.
Plugin formats: VST, VST3, AU, AAX.
Platforms supported: Mac OS 10.7 and up including Catalina. PC Windows 7 and up.
DAWs supported: Ableton Live, Cubase, Logic Pro, Nuendo, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason + more.
I haven’t put it to full use just yet. I tried laying it over a few tracks I already produced and it didn’t work that well. Hoping to try it again with a fresh track this week that is more in the lofi genre. We shall see. All the buttons work and it was an easy install.
Michelle Nunez (verified owner) –